Sunday, March 21, 2010

Talkin' Dirty II

The project evolves, surfeit with complications. Just trying to re-cover the seat involved the purchase of an electric stapler that did not work any better than my manual. The electric did allow me to waste staples at a much faster rate so, there must be a break-even point in there somewhere. I'm not sure what material KTM uses for their seat bases but I'm convinced it would make a suitable anti-missile shield in combat applications.

Any old bike and especially dirt-bikes require fixing things you had not counted on. Every bracket, screw, hanger, nut and bolt is guaranteed to need some degree of fabrication, replacement, or restoration that did not figure into the original calculations when you thought you were getting such a deal. Almost every project I've begun found me diligently keeping receipts to proudly justify the restoration and give record of the money saved. At least until I realized the project was no longer a bike but instead a life sucking money-pit with cosmetically, good-running, counterparts on the market easily purchased and enjoyed for much less coin. One 1986 Honda XR100R comes to mind. Worth approximately $600 I began conveniently losing the receipts at about the $700 mark. No sense in continuing to document my foolishness.







2 comments:

  1. Dear Jonsey:

    I read the following line while I was supposed to be paying attention to some guy's office presentation. The line was" The electric did allow me to waste staples at a much faster rate so, there must be a break-even point in there somewhere." This caused me to bust out laughing just at a point where this dope released some sobering statistics . When he asked me whatvI found so funny, I replied, "We must all learn to laugh in the face of adversity."

    Would you mind if I linked to your blog from mine?

    Fondest regards,
    Jack • reep • Toad
    Twisted Roads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jack:

    Link away. I'm proud that you would want to. Frustrated writer that I am, - I'm sorely in need of the occasional affirmation!

    Jonesy

    ReplyDelete